in

A Place for Mom's Family

An Online Community about Eldercare

DEPRESSION AND OVER MEDICATION

Last post 04-16-2012 12:41 AM by payalmittalmay. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-25-2009 6:14 PM

• patty
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-24-2009
    • Posts 2

DEPRESSION AND OVER MEDICATION

My elderly mother, who is now 75 years old, has been taking medications for depression for over 20 years.  Within the past year she complained to her regular psychiatrist that she is having increased anxiety although she has been taking Xanex for several years.  She cleary shows signs of addiction and dependancy on these pills.  So what does this doctor do...he writes her a new perscription for an even stronger medication called klonopin.  The first day she took it I came home and found her on the floor, face down and she couldn't even get up without assistance.  She won't admit there is a problem and the doctor refuses to acknowledge that the medication is the problem...he keeps insisting that she go for neurological testing!!!  My question is can the family do something legally to get our mother out of this incompetant doctors care!!  We feel she needs care elsewhere!!  She is not cooperating either and gets indignant when we try and interfere with her getting her meds!!!! PLEASE DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE OR KNOWLEDGE ON HOW WE CAN DEAL WITH THIS SITUATION!!!!

• 10-26-2009 2:12 PM In reply to

Re: DEPRESSION AND OVER MEDICATION

Get a second opinion immediately !! Do not wait !!  We are in almost the exact same situation with my 74 yr old Mother In-Law.  She has in the past taken Valium approx 2-3 times per year for approx 6-8 days each time.  She has always been a natural worrier, extremely kind and considerate woman.  She would take Valium if she was experiencing anxiety or as she put it her nerves were bad.  The only time she took it in 2008 was in Nov of 2008, however she was prescribed 60 tablets 5 mg dose.  Within 1-2 weeks after finishing these she suddenly started to feel very anxious, depressed and agitated went back to Doc who said it was probably Benzo withdrawal and needs to taper off instead of abrupt discontinuation.  Made sense and this was progressing until her Doc moved end of Feb 09.  Mother In-law was then taking 0.5 mg of Ativan.  She found a new Doc and told about her progress and Doc agreed with it BUT promptly prescribed 42 tablets of Ativan at 1 mg on March 5/09 and then on March 13/09 prescribed 30 tablets of Valium at 5 mg.    Well by mid April she was once again back at Doc saying she was very anxious & agitated and the increase instead of decrease of Valium was undetected possibly due to change in Doc's. Instead she was diagnosed as Bipolar and put on Celexa.  Next month even more depressed and she was to double Celexa dose & add Olanzapine 5mg/day and Valium at 5 mg twice/day.  Suddenly more adverse effects were being noted such as confusion, tremors, depression, dizziness and suicidal thoughts, the Doc then tripled the Olanzapine!  She was not telling us nor even her husband she was taking this kind of medication so when the suicidal thoughts and confusion were apparent to us we were not sure of the reason and by time we figured it out she was so out of it, shuffling her feet, apathy, constant straightening of pictures on walls, skin color had turned yellow, eyes had a different look to them, wanting to end it all.  We could not look after her and had her admitted to the psych ward at a City hospital as that was the only place that would take her.  It has been 30 days and she is not improving...I truly believe this all started with her new Doc not recognizing the inital symptoms were due to a Benzo withdrawal, instead trying to treat for a condition that does not make sense for her.  Friends, family all agree never shown signs that would indicate BiPolar.  Psych Dr. now says she is severley depressed not Bipolar and has continued with the Antipsychotic drugs, Clexa, added a sleeping pill, and is only reducing the valium which at time of admittance was up to 20mg/day and today it is at 9 mg/day.  He now says we need to consider Electroconvulsive therapy!  He is very hard to talk to and requested another Psych Dr. to give an opinion which is the same as his.  We the family think she is not improving due to the Celexa and Antipsychotic meds and that they need to be reduced, the Psych Dr. thinks we are not in anyway qualifed to suggest this.  Since being there 1st time ever she has high blood pressure & now on meds for that.  We are having a family meeting with the Psych Dr. tomorrow and I pray we will be able to convince him to try the reduction of these meds as this is truly killing her.   Had we known sooner what was going on we would have looked into a private clinic that dealt with addictions in women for the valium.  Please do something to help your Mom now, do not wait or it may be too late.  My mother In-law was working out at Curves 3 days a week, going for lunch with friends, planning a holiday, a volunteer at church thrift store, doing books for her husband's trucking business 6 months ago. 

• 10-26-2009 5:47 PM In reply to

• patty
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-24-2009
    • Posts 2

Wink [;)] Re: DEPRESSION AND OVER MEDICATION

Thankyou so much for your insight, this is a very difficult situation for all with elderly parents or relatives!!  I was just on the phone today with the nurse that works with the perscribing psychiatrist that my mother gets her anxiety meds from.  They are still insisting that she should go for neurological testing and that the meds arent the problem!  She actually asked me why I thought the meds are the problem and I told her all of the side effects and behavior changes have only increased since the change and increase of the dosage of her meds!!  It seems they just want to pass the buck...its an assembly line clinic...they really dont care!!!  Mom is in denial and doesnt think there is anything wrong with her so getting her to go for any kind of evaluation will be extremely difficult!!  If mom would cooperate it would be much easier but she is addicted to these meds and doesnt want anyone to interfere....if this stupid doctor would back me up maybe she would listen!! Im gonna keep trying...good luck with your meeting with the doctors...keep me posted!

• 11-23-2009 1:39 AM In reply to

When my mom had a her heart attack a year ago, I asked the docor for some mild anti-anxiety medication.  Wellbutrin, to be specific.  I'd taken it to try to quit smoking and knew it was pretty mild.  Now it seems that those meds aren't working too well for her and I don't know what to do.  She's anxious most of the time, but I'm not sure medication is the answer.  With everything I've just read, I'm fearful of starting her down that path.  Is the anxiety just a normal sympotm of, and I don't know what to call it, the mental problems she's having?  I want her to be less anxious, but I also don't want her to be a victim.  Her doctor is fairly decent and I'm thinking of making an appointment with her just to discuss all these issues.  Is that the right move?  My mom is going downhill fast, but I don't want her doctors to think she's incapable of coherent thought.  I don't know what to do.  She makes stuff up to tell them and if I'm not in the room, she doesn't tell them everything.  Can anyone help?  My name is Sue and I'm scared.

• 11-25-2011 9:28 AM In reply to

Well, that is a serious case. Taking medicines for depression for 20 years is really a big thing. But you shouldn't stop all the medications immediately. You should reduce the dosage slowly slowly. And one thing I wanna suggest her to do is MEDITATION. It really solves many problems related to the depression very perfectly. 

• 01-19-2012 6:56 AM In reply to

• arial
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-15-2011
    • UK
    • Posts 33

Yes, meditation will work for sure but for perfect result you will need a teacher or guide, who knows meditation because good result always wants a perfect plan and this is matter of your mother’s health, so you are not allowed to take chances.

• 04-16-2012 12:41 AM In reply to

Depression is a very bad thing. it comes in elders very quickly. Elders need care as much as possible rather then medicines. They need a comfertable and friendly enviroment. In today's life no one has enough time for caring elders in home. So you can use any home care services for elders.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us   |   Contact Us   |   Search for Senior Care   |   Terms of Service   |   Privacy