in

A Place for Mom's Family

An Online Community about Eldercare

Veteran's Benefits may help pay for senior housing

Last post 08-02-2012 6:15 PM by mean56. 72 replies.
Page 2 of 5 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-16-2009 4:47 PM In reply to

Re: Veteran's Benefits may help pay for senior housing

There is a difference between the Pension plan and "Aid and Attendance".  If he is receiving assistance with daily living, he MAY be eligible to receive the additional money.  There is an office that can help with that in Florida and will go with him to the VA if necessary during that process.  The Veterans Support Center helps make sure all the paper work is done properly. This is important because I've heard stories where it wasn't done right, they were denied and had to start the process all over again.  If he is eligible, it is a wonderful benefit and well deserved!  It sure helps some of our residents with their rent.

Deborah

• 02-16-2009 5:46 PM In reply to

• Marc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-16-2009
    • Posts 8

Hi Deborah.  Thanks so much for the above info. My wife and I live in New Jersey and my in laws are down in Florida...it is somewhat hard for them to get around since they don't really drive anymore.  Is there possibly a contact person and a phone number of someone to whom I could maybe speak to and see what could be done for them ?  As I mentioned, the pension my father in law receives pertains to his service in WW II ( I believed it is classified as some type of disability pension ). Unfortunately, the cost of assisted living, even with that pension, would exceed their other modest income.  Thanks so much....my direct e-mail is mjuron@aol.com  if that is more convenient.  Be well.  Marc

• 02-16-2009 6:15 PM In reply to

• mcrews
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-01-2008
    • California
    • Posts 138

Deborah,

I can assure you 100% that the information I provided previously is absolutely correct.Yes

VA does 3 things: 1. Health Care, 2. Compensation (service-related monthly payments) 3. Disability Pension (non-service related) Lousy names for #2 & #3, but i don't name them, I just explain them. If his dad is really recieving "monthly Compensation for a wartime disability", then his dad can not recieve both at the same time. If, in fact, his dad is recieving a 'pension' and just started getting it recently, the it is the DISABILTY PENSION. It can be increased as their medical expenses increase. up to the 1649 (?) for 2009. As posted previously "aid & Attendance" is not exclusive to facility care. A&A can be paid at home as well.

Under #3, The pension is triggered by several things but one of them is 'being 100% disabled" non-service related.  Being over the age of 65 is concidered 100% disabled. THEN, there are two RATINGS under the Disability Pension: HOMEBOUND and AID & ATTENDANCE. Aid & Attendance is a subset of DISABILITY PENSION. Actually, A&A is not really a program, it's is the highest rating under the Disability Pension Rating System.

So while the words that are used "DISABILITY PENSION" may seem totally unrelated to Seniors in CARE, I can assure you that that is the program.

• 02-22-2009 11:18 AM In reply to

My Father is in Vitas Hospice at Herman Memorial Hospital SW at Gessner. I have Medicaid pending and desperately trying to find a nursing home in the Houston 77072 or 77026 area who accepts medicaid pending to no avail. The benifits you mention would be a blessing. Please help if you can. The Social Worker at the Hospital is Ms Sita 713-663-7777. 

Thanks,

Ella "Ree" Criswell

281-498-2022

1lord4me@att.net       

• 04-24-2009 4:16 PM In reply to

Re: Veteran's Benefits can pay for senior housing

Hi,

I'm a female disabled Korean War vet.  Your mother is surely eligible for a VA pensionl.  She does not have to be disabled.  The VA considers her disabled at age 65 and over for pension benefits.  Just go to your local VA hospital, outpatient clinic, administrative center, etc.  to get information on applying.  You may also find a listing in your phone book under US government pages for the Veterans Administration.  She is also entitled to free VA medical care. 

• 06-08-2009 2:59 PM In reply to

I wanted to go to this website to see what I could find out.  I need to get the ball rolling for my father in laws care.  I received a message that the sight could not be found.  

Is there another address where I can get the info and maybe an application?

Gretta Todd

just helping dad

• 06-08-2009 4:39 PM In reply to

• mryan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-06-2009
    • Posts 1

< My father-in-law is a World War II vet. He recently had hip replacement and his mind has not come back to where it was before his surgery and we are looking into nursing homes for him. He is 88 years old. I recently saw that there is a possibility to get him some assistance to help pay for a nursing home  ? Can someone please tell me what the conditions would be for this. He has two retirement pensions from the Government ..he retired from the Army and also the Air National Guard ...he also gets a small Social Security check . I know this may seem like a lot of benefits already , but with the cost of nursing homes , he would most likely only be able to self pay for a year at most before we would need to sign him up for Medicaid. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Filed under:
  • 06-08-2009 4:47 PM In reply to

• mcrews
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-01-2008
    • California
    • Posts 138

unless his hip replacement is service related (and it doesnot sound like it is) then he would only recieve $90 a month in a nursing home. Va expects you to apply for medicaid to pay the NH. Now if he can live in an Assisted Living Facility, he could recieve up to about $1600 a month, IF he spends all his income on CARE.

Pleae read all the past posts here as they cover this topic.\good luck

Mark John Crews

• 01-20-2010 10:34 AM In reply to

My husband has alzheimers he is 65 and been on social security disability for 6 years. He is a veteran. He served in the army from 6- 14-61 until 6-5-64 his discharge says he was transfered to the army reserves until 6-14-67.  I know there is a time frame to qualify for the aid and attendance program.  Which date will they use?  I understand that he may not be eligible because they have an 8-64 date as the date for vietnam.  I sure hope they will consider him as not being officially discharged until after his reserve obligation date.  Does anyone know the answer to this?

Sharon

• 01-26-2010 1:45 PM In reply to

• mcrews
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-01-2008
    • California
    • Posts 138

Only active-duty qualifies.  The only time that reserve duty qualifies is if the individual was called to active duty while in the reserves such as is happening in Iraq and Afghanistan.  Vietnam veterans have some special automatic qualifications related to compensation if they were in country.  In country also means they could have been stationed offshore in a ship. 

I don't believe he will qualify under the Non-service related disability Pension (commonly referred to as Aid & Attendance )
  • 03-23-2010 4:38 PM In reply to

Deborah:

Thanks for your correct information and thanks for all you do for all of your seniors at Brookdale. I believe our local Counselor, Doug Bell with Veterans Angels, Inc. has an event planned with you shortly, although I may be mistaken. Please go to our web-site at www.vetangels.org and invite any of your prospecitve residents or current residents and/or their family members to click on the Pre-Qualification Form. It is efficient, complete and very fast. As a side note on our home-page click on the Heroes Tribute (YouTube) at the bottom of the page. Make sure you have Kleenex!

• 04-07-2010 10:59 AM In reply to

What is the maximum net worth a couple can have to qualify for A & A?  If they have too much in net worth, how do they shift ot transfer funds out of their estate?  Can they still own their home and rent it, or is that considered an asset.  Thank You

• 04-19-2010 10:55 PM In reply to

I do all of the PR and Fundraising for a non-profit, Veterans Angels, Inc. All of our services are provided free of charge and one of the easiest ways to help your loved one is to go to our web-site at www.vetangels.org and complete the Pre-Qualification Form. Once submitted, a counselor will be in touch with you to assist in your application. Our EIN# is 27-0204290. We have completed over 800 applications with a 96% success rate.
  • 04-19-2010 11:39 PM In reply to

The best way to expedite this process is to go to our web-site, www.vetangels.org, and click on the Pre-Qualification Form.This is an extremely fast and efficient way for families to help their loved ones. Veterans Angels, Inc. is a non-profit, EIN#270204290 Public Charity, headed by Stephen B. Stone, a Vietnam-Era Marine, an Accredited Representative with the Department of Veterans Affairs and a Registered Investment Advisor.

• 04-20-2010 12:23 AM In reply to

• mcrews
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-01-2008
    • California
    • Posts 138

Outside of the fact that you are 'running an ad for yourself'', Vet's should be concerned that your focus is only on one program, VA.  That does a disservice to the applicant who may be eligible for other programs but is short-changed because you focus on VA.  Also I can't tell you how many clients I deal with who had a 'registered Investment Advisor" and have lost money. Being a RIA on top of being 'accredited' seems a little bit like 'trust milling' which is illegal in California.

I have yet to meet a RIA who understands the correct way to handle a clients money who is in CARE.  Since I have written and taught CE classes for the last 6 years on the topic of Comprehensively Funding Care, I have a pretty deep understanding of the topic. Almost ALL Acccredited Reps for the VA do not understand the complexity of blending programs. Having successfully help over 1000 clients in the last 10 yrs recieve ALL possible programs at home, at independent living facilities, at board & care facilities, at assisted living facilities and also nursing homes, I understand the real issues facing families.

For example:California married couple $ 1580 of monthly income. what is the maximuum possible benefits? both have alz can't drive cant cook and live at home.

Page 2 of 5 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
About Us   |   Contact Us   |   Search for Senior Care   |   Terms of Service   |   Privacy