in

Eldercare Forums

Great Ideas for Summer Activities for Senior Citizens

Last post 08-02-2012 5:46 PM by aaliyahW09245. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-18-2011 2:13 PM

Great Ideas for Summer Activities for Senior Citizens

How to Help the Elderly in Your Life Enjoy Summer Fun

• 09-14-2011 12:19 AM In reply to

Re: Great Ideas for Summer Activities for Senior Citizens

Thank you so much for sharing a great idea to enjoy summer with elders.....
  • 07-06-2012 9:30 PM In reply to

These are other activities that seniors can do indoors: Bingo This is definitely one of the most popular of the indoor summer activities for senior citizens. No matter what their age or physical ability this is a wonderful social activity for seniors. Many retirement centers have a weekly bingo night in their activity roster. If your family member or loved one lives at home it is easy to locate bingo activities for them. You can check with your local churches, many have a night during the week for bingo. Not only is it fun for them it help to keep the mind stimulated. Cards The next on my best indoor summer activities for senior citizens are popular with both Men and Women. Many women grew up playing Bridge and love the familiarity of playing as they get older. Some other popular card games are Rummy, and my family here in Texas all love to play Canasta. Another wonder social opportunity also, it is a chance for them to connect with others who have the same interests as them. Quilting/Knitting Another popular activity for senior citizens, especially women is quilting or knitting. They enjoy the feeling of satisfaction they get from making something beautiful. Quilting circles and classes are very common in retirement centers and the company they enjoy while making things is priceless. Staying cool indoors makes one of the best Summer activities. Board Games An excellent way to play games they loved as children is also wonderful for the memory. The great thing about this of the indoor Summer activities for senior citizens are everyone usually has a favorite from their past they love to play. Board games can help them recall fond memories, and they are wonderful for challenging the mind. The stimulation is very important in keeping their mind young and helping to fight off dementia and Alzheimer's. Arts & Crafts The last choice on my best indoor Summer activities for senior citizens are usually something any senior can enjoy. Arts and crafts are a wonderful way to pass the time inside during the hot Summer and continue a hobby, or find a new one. There are so many activities even those who are handicapped, suffer from memory loss or other ailments like arthritis can find one just right for them. Some of the most popular choices are painting, puzzles, mosaics, photography and scrap booking. Not only are these indoor summer activities for senior citizens fun, some are even profitable. Some senior citizens are taking the opportunity to sell some of their hand made crafts, and quilted items for extra income. If you are looking for some healthy outdoor activities for senior citizens to get some exercise here you will find some ideas.
  • 07-12-2012 11:11 AM In reply to

Getting them into new hobbies are interesting. My grandma wants to learn dressmaking
  • 08-02-2012 5:46 PM In reply to

These are fantastic activities to keep your parents active year-round. My mother always makes me take her to an Orioles game, this year we haven't gone because the heat is just too much for her and the night games aren't better because it has been 80's and 90's well into the night. So instead we have gone to a couple of the local community college's theatre productions and she has added that to her list of must do once a month.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)